Saturday, May 26, 2007

Revolution by George Barna - Part 2

Here were my initial thoughts, if you missed it.

I have been thinking about this book all week. I have had the chance to discuss it with several people (only one had read any of it, and that only after I was talking about it).

I just want to highlight some of the points that I am beginning to take away from the book. Many of you (in Tucson especially) know that I have been discontent with my local church for some time. There are a few reasons for this, and that may be fodder for a future post, but I still don't think I understand the reasons well enough to fully digest at this time. I certainly have not approached the leadership in regards to these concerns, and that is my fault alone. So, before I go ripping into my longtime church home - I need a more balanced outlook on the subject. That said - I feel a large disconnect from my home church.

The first chapter of Revolution illustrates two men who have both walked away from their home churches for nearly identical reasons. They are in similar stations in life, and are friends who meet at least once a week. In approaching their disconnect, they took different paths. David, chose to keep up his spiritual disciplines, and continued searching for ways he could bless others. Michael simply "chose to call a truce with God and simply get on with life, sans church." [p.2] David is representative of a Revolutionary Christian.
They are not willing to play religious games and aren't interested in being part of a religious community that is not intentionally and agressively advancing God's Kingdom. They are people who want more of God - much more - in their lives. And they are doing whatever it takes to get it. [p.7]
Michael is representative of a backsliding Christian; he is losing touch with everything spiritual by walking away.
He loves God, has prayed that Jesus Christ would save him from his sins, and believes many biblical doctrines. But Michael's life is more about living for Michael than it is about living for God. [p.8]
Barna goes on to say...
The United States is home to an increasing number of Revolutionaries... The key to understanding Revolutionaries is not what church they attend, or even if they attend. Instead it's their complete dedication to being thoroughly Christian by viewing every moment of life through a spiritual lens and making every decision in light of biblical principles. [p.8]
The first chapter introduces you to who a Revolutionary is, and proclaims loudly to all Revolutionaries...

YOU ARE NOT ALONE

Thoughts? Questions? Let's talk.

6 comments:

Stacy said...

"Don not forsake yourself the fellowshipping together of other believers." I'm not saying that has to be in church, but I think before you ditch it altogether you beter have a plan of how you are going to e fed and follow that verse If you are not giving up on God and His word, then the New Testament still holds rue and that is an important tenant.

Also, i think that at this point, by ot talking to the main leader of your church, you are doing yourself a disservice. He is a wise man Chris. He's not just going to disagree with you for the mere fact that he'sa pastor - chances are he will agree with you on any points and give you some good guidance and direction for being a Revolutionary without losing your way. If you are waiting until you have it all 'figured out' before you speak to him/them - well...that will be a long time as just about the time you think you have this phase of life figured out and put in to place, something else will come along.

My only other 'motherly' question is this...seeing as you are spending so much time reading books written by man, are you affording God the same amount of time in the book written by Him?

Christopher Warren said...

Just to follow up on this a bit before I move the conversation a bit more forward... (and we already talked in person anyway.)

I felt convicted by this to go ahead and meet with the pastor of our church. I hope to do this Wednesday, and feel very hopeful about it.

And, of course, walking away from your current fellowship is not an easy excuse to simply not gather and encourage each other as believers. That is clear.

Acts 2:46 - 47 "They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord's Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity - all the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people."

I'll try to get the next chapter up tomorrow.

Donna said...

Blessings! I am going through the exact same disconnect with my home church as well as several others in my church. I was born in 1957 and the others are both older and younger than myself.The Lord has not released me from this church as of yet, but I believe in His perfect timing.God is very black and white, but we humans aren't.It could be the enemy,somthing blocking the move of the spirit in the church or a million other things. I plan to speak with my pastor but I do not feel in my spirit that he will have an answer.
Most of the people who feel disconnected are from charismatic backround. We have lots of baby Christians coming in at this time. The pastor may offer an insight but it's up to us to look to God for all answers. It's not an easy position to be in, to half heartedly go and put in the time, but it is being obedient to God, sometimes that is not always easy. He did say to gather and to tithe and to pray for our churches but He also wants us to grow in wisdom and in truth. I still am growing and being fed though in other ways. Check out Bishop Eddie L Long in Lithonia GA, newbirth.org for a really "kingdom" spirit filled moving group. Keep praying and reading the bible and I believe in His perfect timing, we will all get to where He is taking us. In Christ's Love

Barb said...

I really loved this book. I didn't feel that it encouraged me to leave my church as much as it helped me to stay. There were things happening there that were leaving me feeling compromised and confused. My children and I had been also attending meetings at another church where we had friends. We were finding the liberty, support, and encouragement that we were lacking in the church where we are members. I was wondering if God was calling us to to leave the first church for the second, but my husband was not open to it. But he did encourage us to continue to fellowship with the other body because he saw how much good it did for us. I wasn't sure this was "kosher' but God really spoke to me through what George Barna wrote. He said that whatever you need to do to get closer to Jesus, do it. For me, that said it all. My kids and I have been experiencing personal revival, and I'm not being dragged down by things at my church anymore. In fact, I'm believing for good things, and that God has a purpose for us there. I've been open with the leadership of both churches about what we're doing. I think the focus of the book is to be open to find God anywhere He leads you, even if it breaks the conventional norms. Sometimes He may challenge us to be willing to worship outside the box of what American Christianity has trained us to do.

Trin said...

Well I read the book last week while flying to New Attitude, and found it quite inspiring that there is a growing population that desires to live "abandoned for Christ" rather than the mediocre lives which are, unfortunately, so common.

My general concern about what I've seen of similar talks and essays before reading the book is what Stacy pointed out above: concern for those that see this as an excuse to leave the church, but then not remain in fellowship with others. I think he did a good job of keeping this point clear as priority throughout the book, though.

Like Barb, I don't find this book encouraging me to leave the form of the local church. Of course with that I should say that three months ago I did leave the church I grew up in. In the span of two weeks I felt the urging that I didn't belong there anymore, found a new church to visit, and began to move into that church. In that time I also sat down with my parents to talk about how I found myself at that decision and consulted with the pastor over the small group I was in as well. For myself, that I didn't leave because of some slight or discontent was an important part of my move.

While the standard “form” of the local church does come with a lot of tradition and routine, I think it does offer several benefits which should not be easily abandoned. One to highlight is the availability of several to look to who have walked much further than us: we, who are younger. People we can get to know and who can be eyes into our lives for advice and direction. That is not easily found in friends our own age or books read (or teachings downloaded) with introspection since our own hearts so easily deceive us.

Christopher Warren said...

Thanks for the comments, and for continuing the conversation. Good insights. :)