Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Revolution by George Barna - Part 3

Webster, not one to succumb to societal pressure to exaggerate, defines a revolution as "an overthrow or repudiation and through replacement of an established government or plolitical system by the people governed." It adds that a revolution may also be a "radical and pervasive change in society and the social structure." [p.11]
Already 20 million strong [p.13]!?! A "growing sub-nation" within Christian society. Is it really possible?
... Revolutionaries are embarrassed by language that promises Christian love and holiness but turns out to be all sizzle and no substance. [p.14]
That rings deep with me. Just before this, Barna says that Revolutionaries are not impressed by degrees and Christian colleges and seminaries that are produce graduates who are "incapable" of devoting their lives to others or of defending the Bible. As I prepare to enter into a degree program this fall - I am paying close attention to that.

**tangent** For those wondering, things look like everything is on track for me to be enrolled for the fall semester at Judson College in Elgin IL. Hopefully working at International Teams.[I should know more in days.]

By the end of this second chapter Barna warns Revolutionaries to "count the cost." He parallels modern day Revolutionaries to the prophets of old. He reminds us how Jesus was persecuted.
The mere presence of Revolutionaries makes the typical American citizen - yes, even the typical churchgoer - uncomfortable. [p.16]
Thoughts? In the next part I will outline what Barna calls the seven passions of Revolutionaries.

1 comment:

Barb said...

I really loved this book. I didn't feel that it encouraged me to leave my church as much as it helped me to stay. There were things happening there that were leaving me feeling compromised and confused. My children and I had been also attending meetings at another church where we had friends. We were finding the liberty, support, and encouragement that we were lacking in the church where we are members. I was wondering if God was calling us to to leave the first church for the second, but my husband was not open to it. But he did encourage us to continue to fellowship with the other body because he saw how much good it did for us. I wasn't sure this was "kosher' but God really spoke to me through what George Barna wrote. He said that whatever you need to do to get closer to Jesus, do it. For me, that said it all. My kids and I have been experiencing personal revival, and I'm not being dragged down by things at my church anymore. In fact, I'm believing for good things, and that God has a purpose for us there. I've been open with the leadership of both churches about what we're doing. I think the focus of the book is to be open to find God anywhere He leads you, even if it breaks the conventional norms. Sometimes He may challenge us to be willing to worship outside the box of what American Christianity has trained us to do.