Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Netflix (redux)

I have used Netflix off and on over the last two years (who knew! haha, I didn't until I sat down to write this post and checked!). I even blogged about it once at the old space. I obviously didn't have them while I was gone overseas, and I didn't use them while in Tucson earlier this year - because my roommate Trevor had Blockbuster.com, but I have been using them for a while... and I feel compelled to make my rental history known.

I pay $17.99/month for 3-at-a-time unlimited, I load up a bunch of movies I want to see, and they ship them to me [pretty much] in the order I want them. I keep them as long as I want (nothing is ever late), watch them when I want, and send them back - prepaid to Netflix, who ships me the next disc upon receipt. When done right, the 3/unlimited plan can deliver a fresh movie to your house almost everyday of the week. They have a wide range of plans... and now feature some streaming movies (based on hours/month) directly from their website for those instant compulsions.

No, I am not going to recount every movie I have rented (presently 109 individual discs, as many were part of a series) or rated (371 titles) through them. I like to watch TV shows this way, no commercials.

So, as you look at the titles below... Do you use Netflix or similar online rental service? Does it work for you? Do you rent in the store? How much money do you spend on rentals in a month? Have you seen any of the below? What do you think? Leave it in the comments.

These three came in the mail yesterday:

Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price
Equilibrium
An Inconvenient Truth

And these represent my rental history since resuming Netflix two months ago. In order of watched. Anything stand out to you??

Battlestar Galactica: Season 1: Disc 1: The Miniseries
Battlestar Galactica: Season 1: Disc 4 (5-Disc Series)
Battlestar Galactica: Season 1: Disc 5 (5-Disc Series)
Fracture
Battlestar Galactica: Season 1: Disc 2 (5-Disc Series)
Battlestar Galactica: Season 1: Disc 3 (5-Disc Series)
Ultraviolet
Super Size Me
Stranger than Fiction
Lord of War
Children of Heaven
Born Into Brothels
Akira
Children of Men
Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut

1 comment:

Trin said...

As for the things listed:
Equilibrium is a cool movie.
I enjoyed Fracture.
Ultraviolet was terrible, I didn't expect much going in, but was at least hoping for some good action...
I bought Stranger than Fiction on a whim which is odd since I generally dislike most comedy released these days, but was delightfully surprised with this one.
For me, Akira was better the second time around - about a year later - and the third time shortly after.
I watched the first season of Galactica when it was on and while I enjoyed it, decided it was not useful in the end to continue, though.
I'm not a big fan of documentaries, so can't say much about those.

I've been a member with Netflix since late 2005 using it mainly to get a hold of the slightly more obscure and then much TV and more recently "classic" movies. I'm down to the 2 at a time plan now with my brother using one of them and me the other.

My current disc is kinda funny given what I said above, Combat Diary: The Marines of Lima Company, 2006.

Since July I've rented:
Wonderfalls: The Complete Series: Disc 1 (3-Disc Series), Sharpe 1: Sharpe's Rifles, Strangers on a Train: Special Edition, The Snows of Kilimanjaro, North by Northwest, Portrait of Jennie, The Office: Season 3: Disc 1 (4-Disc Series), Shadow of a Doubt, Arrested Development: Season 2: Disc 3 (3-Disc Series), Arrested Development: Season 2: Disc 2 (3-Disc Series), Arrested Development: Season 2: Disc 1 (3-Disc Series), Arrested Development: Season 1: Disc 3 (3-Disc Series), Citizen Kane, Arrested Development: Season 1: Disc 2 (3-Disc Series), Avalon, Arrested Development: Season 1: Disc 1 (3-Disc Series), Once a Thief