Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Yankowski - What are you doing NOW?

Its been three months (and a few days) since I moved to Elgin. It has been a good three months... I've been in school, reading a ton, writing a ton, and learning a ton. (And working a fair clip too!)

I had approached this time as a time of training, a time for education, a time to prepare myself for service.

But - I've had that view challenged.

Mike Yankowski can to speak at Judson University last week for our Spiritual Enrichment Week which is a focused time of sequential chapels. Mike was here speaking about his experience on the streets of America as a homeless man. He spoke of the obstacles he had to deal with, and the experiences that came out of that - the obstacles that were sometimes places there by Christians, experiences that were sometimes made negative by Christians.

However, one of Mike's main themes for the week was "what are you doing now to serve Christ?" This thought echoed in my brain all week.

"The only appropriate place for us to manifest our theology is the present." - Mike Yankowski.

Matthew 25:14 is the parable of the talents. The Master has given us resources to use today. Those who use what they have earn return, and are rewarded... But, the one who simply hides his talent away while the Master is away is rebuked for at least not earning interest on the money entrusted to him. We cannot wait for tomorrow.

NOW. Yes, while you are in school.
NOW. Yes, while you are learning.
NOW. Not in the future, not next year, not next week or even tomorrow.
NOW. What are you doing today to live out your faith.


Heaven help me... Am I doing enough?

The assignments I promised (and the reasons I am sleeping in the picture above):
Essay 2 FINAL "The Effect of Colonization on the New World" (HIS262) Thanks to Stacie, Deb, and Jake who helped edit the final draft for me. I didn't get it out in enough time for a serious edit.
Article Outline - Berkowitz, "Television" (HIS480)

1 comment:

theprettiestbaglady said...

this is really good, gah i love mike...i hold him just a little lower than shane haha just kidding...
thanks for finally updating!! im glad you are learning a lot thats always exciting!