Thursday, September 27, 2007

Would you like an egg? Thoughts from Homeless Ministry.

** UNFINISHED THOUGHTS FROM LAST FRIDAY MORNING // MORE TOMORROW, BUT I WANTED TO SHARE THESE WITH YOU DEAR READER**

This morning, I woke up early, 6am. Ok, I know it is not that early... After all I used to open a Starbucks several times a week at 4:30am. At any rate, it is early for my college schedule.

Gene, who I work with, picked me up at 6:30, and we went down to a local church in Elgin and served some breakfast items and sack lunch items to about 40 homeless.

We arrived a few minutes before sandwiches arrived, and Toni and Tom had most things already set up. Toni is the church secratary, and is charge of this ministry on behalf of the church. A few people came in and dropped off some bananas, Tom is fufilling his community service. We had about 4 dozen hardboiled eggs, and Gene put me at the front of the 'food buffet line.'

Some homeless were already inside, patiently waiting for their food. Gene placed a large coffee server out (ironically filled with Starbucks drip coffee) and this signified that we were ready to serve. I was at the front of the line near a sign in sheet (so they can track the amount of people), a stack of empty sacks, and the eggs. With very little instruction... I was sorting out how to begin this process, do I bag an egg, a packet of salt, and a packet of pepper without asking if they even want these things? Do they have a choice, or do we just give them what we have?

Generally I would greet with a 'good morning' or a 'how is your morning' which I quickly became self concious of... I was terrified that one would retort back 'Well, I'm still homeless, what the hell do you expect?' I was unsure how to respond when a man simply grunted, and didn't look up at me.

"Would you like an egg?" was my next question. Most did, and some had a preference on the salt/pepper. Some didn't want pepper, one didn't want salt. One Puerto Rican woman, Magarita, gretted me with a "Hey baby," a wink, and a blown kiss... Then proceeded to try and get two eggs out of me. We eventually gave her another egg, but only after we made sure we had enough for everyone who wanted one.

Choice of sandwich.

Describe the coffee.

Michael.

Racial Mix.

Grateful attitude, and general cheer, but... a lack of joy?

Clean up.

??

**AGAIN, THESE ARE TOTALLY UNFINISHED THOUGHTS!**

No comments: